1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kali won't boot

Discussion in 'Frequently Asked Questions' started by James Franco, Nov 19, 2014.

1. James Franco

James Franco New Member

Hi all, Im new to the forum and to kali. I successfully installed kali alongside windows 8 on my laptop and have been using it for about a week. Today, I logged into windows and changed the computer name and workgroup and also installed itunes to test some things. No other changed were made. Now when I boot and load either Kali or Recovery mode, it starts to load and then shows a black screen, no cursor or anything and my keyboard is unresponsive.

I haven't made any changes in kali or anything and am quite perplexed as to why this is happenening. I even changed the computer name and network back to what it was in windows although I don't think this could've caused the problem.

Any advice at this point would be very very helpfull.

2. James Franco

James Franco New Member

Come to think of it, before i restarted and booted to windows, i did perform an apt-get update that took a long time. It must have updated something on my kali before i restarted. Perhaps even a video driver. Is there anyway for me to access the machine and rollback any updates from what I can get to now?

3. James Franco

James Franco New Member

ISSUE RESOLVED!
    In GRUB menu, press e on the one you want to fix
    look for a line with "quiet" at the end
    add a command after that line to read: nvidia.modeset=0
    then press F10 to load.

Next time you reboot just do it normally and it appears to be functioning again!