1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fixed channel mon0: -1 , Alfa AWUS036H

Discussion in 'Community' started by Gabilitron, Sep 4, 2014.

1. Gabilitron

Gabilitron New Member

Hello all,
    I'm using a hard drive installation of the latest Kali Linux distro, and a wireless card Alfa AWUS036H, which has a RTL8187 Realtek chipset.
    I'm having the following issue, whose I could not found anything about in this forum:
    Once I've started mon0 interface by "airmon-ng start wlan1", I try to sniff the network with "airodump-ng -c 10 mon0", for instance.
    It sniffs "something", but I'm pretty sure it does not behave correctly, since airodump's output prints at top right the message "fixed channel mon0: -1".

I've read some posts from people who experimented the same issue. However, any of those solutions helped me.
    This is the first time I'm facing this kind of problem. I've worked with Backtrack 4, Backtrack 5, wifiway 2, etc.

What's the problem with my card and Kali Linux?
    Thank you!

2. s3rocool

s3rocool New Member

After you have started mon0 if you do airmon-ng check kill all should be fine.

3. Gabilitron

Gabilitron New Member

I solved it by typing "ifconfig wlan1 down" just after "airmon-ng start wlan1". I guess the problem was that wlan1 interface was running those processes you suggested to kill, which are dhclient, wlan manager, etc; while the virtual interface mon0 was trying to stay fixed on one single channel.

By the way, thank you for you response s3rocool.

s3rocool likes this.